Sunday, January 8, 2012

First finish of the year!

The first week of the new year brings a finished project, already. It isn't anything big but I am pleased with how it turned out. Last summer, I saw a tutorial to make a tumbler pillow over on the Fat Quarterly blog. It looked like a quick project and I have plenty of scraps, so I gave it a try. I made one for my daughter-in-law using the scraps from her wedding quilt. I do not have the Go Baby! Cutter shown in the tutorial but it was easy to make my own template using the cardboard pieces that come on the back of a charm pack. I put two layers of the cardboard together, stapled (pretty low tech operation here) them and they work great. I just trace the pattern onto the back of my scraps and cut using a rotary cutter and small ruler.

I have been working on a big quilt for one of my girls for some time now and she may be getting a bit weary waiting for me to finish. She has been very patient and not said much as I put other projects ahead of hers. She has been redecorating her room around the colour scheme in the quilt and I wanted to give her a little something to help her keep the faith. She wants to have lots of throw cushions on her bed so I thought it might be nice to take some of the scraps from her quilt and make her one of these tumbler pillows. I did cut the pieces out before Christmas and started sewing a few together, but other projects, activity, and my family got in the way of getting it done. I pulled it out yesterday and finished it up for her today. 



She really likes it. I could have done a better job laying it out but I haven't progressed to wanting to use a design wall yet, much less actually creating one. She doesn't seem to mind at all. Despite the fact that I did not sit and sew it all in one sitting I can assure you, it is easily made in an afternoon. The fabrics are almost all (maybe even all) French General by Moda. And the big quilt is turning out very nicely. I have a story there from my Friday night sewing session, but I will keep that until I post a photo of the finished top.

We are having incredible weather for January here in southern Alberta. Apart from the strong winds (which have been quite relentless) we have been having spring-like temperatures and blue skies.  My daughter and I leashed up our beagle-girls and went for a nice romp in the coulee this afternoon. Some of us came back more tired than others, but we all enjoyed the fresh air.

I've been working on getting organized for my Sew Scraps Along project and will try to have an update on that for you tomorrow. Enjoy what is left of your weekend!
e.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS