Monday, January 16, 2012

#2

My second finish of the year! Technically, it was mostly complete in 2011 but I didn't count it as a finish then because it wasn't completely done (I'm a bit anal that way). The pattern for this quilt is Open Season by Carrie Nelson. It is from her book Schnibbles Times Two. If you aren't familiar with the book or the concept, Carrie took some of her wildly popular Schnibbles patterns (which use charm packs) and provided directions for enlarged versions, using layer cakes. I happened to score a bundle of her first fabric line for Henry Glass, Fresh Palette, and used that to make the quilt. It didn't transpose nice and clean so I supplemented the missing pieces with coordinating solids from my Kona stash. I am really happy with how it turned out; the longarm quilter did a nice job. I made a pair of coordinating pillowcases to match and the whole lot is going to be packaged up and sent to a very special friend who has been having more than her fair share of challenges. The quilt reminds me of warm, spring day where the flowers are emerging from their melting blanket of snow - an image of reslience and a reminder that even the most delicate among us have 
energy and strength to survive.


I had some help getting this one finished. My daughter's cat assumed his very necessary role as official household quilt tester in the days the quilt was out, awaiting me to finish sewing down the binding. While I do think his look is one of approval, I'm quite certain he is casting a wary eye towards the beagles, who are often just as anxious to get snuggled up with a blanket.

It is -23 outside right now. Settling in for the night with a quilt sounds like a plan to me.

Happy Monday.

e.


3 comments:

  1. Lovely! I will have to take a look at that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! Congrats on the {official} finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt. I'm such a huge fan of colorful quilts with a crisp, white background. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS