Sunday, June 16, 2013

Week 2 - Zakka 2.0

Just in under the wire, I finished the second week's project for the Patchwork Please sewalong hosted over at A Quilter's Table.

As you can see, I did the one with the least amount of letters; yup, that was no accident. I enjoyed making this project all the way up to the binding part. I love binding; I am a hand-stitched binding kind of girl so it was a stretch for me to accept that this project really does lend itself to applying binding by machine. While I do still think the book is very well written, the directions for making and applying the continuous bias binding were not nearly complete enough, and could have used a drawing. I've sewn a lot and read a lot of patterns and tried a lot of techniques (including this one) and I am sure I would never have gotten where I needed to if I didn't have that experience to draw on; the directions themselves were just not enough. But, I haven't heard anybody else mention a problem, so I'm also quite willing to accept the problem had everything to do with me. In the end, it is finished, and it is cute! I dabbled in 30's prints very minimally a few years back and it happened I had a cute piece of fabric left to use for the binding; I think it compliments the American Jane scraps very nicely. I have the linen cut for the remaining towels, but they will have to wait until next weekend. At least I got something completed for this week - it feels good!

So, on to a new week, new projects, and more learning!

e.

6 comments:

  1. I had to laugh...that's why I made only the LUNCH one, too! You're so right about needing some diagrams...maybe someday the publishers will listen to the readers? At any rate, I love your lunch towel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I like lunch, shhh, you don't have to tell people it's about the least number of letters. :) I have a huge soft spot for American Jane and 30's repro, and I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fine job, Erica! And your salt and pepper are sew cute!

    Lorna:)
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it!! The background fabric is perfect and the applique really stands out against it. You should link these up at Needle and Thread Thursday! It will be open through tomorrow!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! The lettering is so fun, great finish!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS